Congratulations! You're expecting your first baby, or maybe you've just moved to Toowoomba and are unsure of your options. I am going to break down your choices so you have a better idea of your ideal health care provider. Remember, it's important to choose the right health care provider for the type of birth you are wanting.
In Toowoomba, there are four places you are able to birth:
1) Saint Vincent's Hospital - Private Hospital
2) Toowoomba Base Hospital - Public Hospital
3) Birth Centre (Located at the Toowoomba Base Hospital)
4) Your home
Saint Vincent's Hospital
St Vincent’s Toowoomba is a private hospital containing 22 single ensuited rooms and 6 double rooms and a Special Care Nursery. There are also four labour wards, two assessment rooms and three bed recovery area. Two of the labour wards have baths available for water immersion during labour.
To birth at this hospital, you need to be under the care of a private Obstetrician. There are currently 5 practicing Obstetricians in Toowoomba.
1) Dr Brendan Miller
2) Dr Zakia Sharif
3) Dr Lanziz Homar
5) Dr Anthony Cerqui
4) Dr Gehan El-Bialy
Reasons to choose a Private Obstetrician:
Reasons not to choose a Private Obstetrician:
Toowoomba Base Hospital
Toowoomba Base is a large public hospital with four labour wards (plus two Birth Centre suites) and both shared and private maternity rooms. There is also a Special Care Unit.
There are a number of options for your maternity care through the Base:
1) Mainstream/ Routine care: You will be seen by different midwives (and Doctors) throughout your pregnancy, birth and postnatal period.
2) GP Shared Care: care is shared antenatally between your GP and the hospital staff. During birth you will be attended by whichever midwife / Doctor is working.
3) Midwifery Group Practice: your care is provided by a midwife or two during your pregnancy, birth and for up to 6 weeks after the baby is born. You are able to birth in the Birth Centre in this program.
4) Private Midwife: you can choose a private midwife to care for you antenatally and they will attend your birth at the hospital and provide postnatal care also. Private midwives are also able to provide care in the Birth Centre suites.
Reasons to choose Mainstream Care at Toowoomba Base Hospital:
Birth Centre at Toowoomba Hospital
In the Toowoomba Hospital is a pair of birth suites, both with beautifully themed rooms and large birth pools. To access the birth suites you need to be accepted onto the Midwifery Group Program or you need to hire a private Midwife. If you'd like to know more, read this blog.
Reasons to choose Midwifery Group Practice at Toowoomba Hospital Birth Centre:
Toowoomba and surrounds have a number of private midwives that have visiting rights to the Toowoomba Base Hospital. They include:
Sonya Beutel from Nurture Your Birth
My Midwives Toowoomba
Lockyer Valley Midwifery
Reasons to Choose a Private Midwife:
Birth In Your Home
Last but not least, you can choose to birth in the comfort of your own home. The midwives mentioned above all provide home birth care (with consideration of risk).
Reasons to choose a home birth:
Hopefully that clears up any confusion you may have about your birthing options in Toowoomba!